Saturday, March 2, 2013

Party Time!

        
          I never realized how much work is put into creating a party.  I am deciding to throw a party for my boyfriend, because he is turning 30.  I don't want to spend a lot of money renting a hall or fancy place, so I will decide to just have it at our house.  This is my first time in charge of everything for a party, so I never realized how much was involved with the whole ordeal.  I have to make sure we have food, so his sister-in-law will be making ziti, and I am ordering sandwiches and salads.  I ordered a cake from Cold Stone Creamery, but I will make cupcakes as well.  The cake I am ordering is cookie dough flavored, which sounds appetizing!  I also will be making chocolate covered things like strawberries, pretzels and Oreos.  Of course, I will have chips, snacks, and drinks too.  Along with all of the food and drinks that are involved, I have to make sure the house is spotless and decorate too.
          Everyone was already invited, and I have just about everything I need for his party.  Unfortunately, my son won't be able to be there, which he is a little upset about.  He will be at his father's house for the weekend.  The party is on Saturday, so I hope that everything goes smoothly.  I'm very excited to see the how it goes!


Vocabulary:

1. Party (noun) - a social gathering, sometimes for a special occasion.  For example: birthday, holiday, graduation.
Party (birthday)
2. Rent (intransitive verb) - the use of property temporarily (only for a certain amount of time)  in exchange for money.
Hall
3. Hall (noun) - a large building or place used for things such as parties or events.
 4. Fancy (adjective) - not plain, rich-looking.
5. Involve (transitive verb) - to require, include
6. Ordeal (noun) - difficult experience.
7. Appetizing (adjective) - good taste or smell, makes people want to eat it, scrumptious, yummy.
8. Spotless (adjective) - perfectly clean.
9. Invite (verb) - to ask to go somewhere or do something.
*Throw a party means to create a party or put a party together, usually for someone.

Cold Stone Creamery's Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake

Vocabulary Cloze Exercise (answer the questions using the vocabulary words listed above):

1. Where can you have a party that will be large enough for a lot of people? ____________________
2. What do you call something that is perfectly clean? ________________________
3. If you want to use property only for a certain amount of time, what can you do? _______________
4. If you ask someone to come to a party, you will ________________ them.
5. What is a big social gathering, usually for birthdays or special occasions? ___________________
6. If something smells and looks good to eat, it is __________________________.
7. What is the opposite of plain? ___________________
8. I did not know how much was going to be ________________ed with the whole ______________.



Grammar Point (future verb tense):

          This blog features some examples of future verb tenses.  As a reminder, a verb is an "action" word, that tells what something or someone is doing.  When learning about verb tenses, there are four different types: simple, progressive, perfect, and perfect progressive.  Today we will focus on simple future verb tenses.  A future verb tense is a verb form that marks an event that has not happened yet, but is expected to happen in the future.  A simple future verb tense follows this pattern: subject + auxiliary verb + main verb.  To make this clearer, let me give you an example.

Nancy will make cupcakes.
Nancy = subject
will = auxiliary verb
make = main verb

This means, Nancy did not make the cupcakes, but she will be in the future.
"Will" is a common auxiliary verb that is used in the future tense.

For more practice with future verb tenses, visit this page.


Grammar Exercise:

          Find all of the simple future verb tenses that are listed within the blog entry.  After doing so, write a short paragraph focusing on things you will be doing.  Make sure to keep your writing in the simple future verb tense.





         



 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Kerrie- I really enjoyed your blog because it is so true! It is very difficult to plan a party and have everything perfect. How did it go?

    Awesome idea on the vocabulary exercise.

    ReplyDelete