Friday, March 15, 2013

A Great Place to Dine

One of the dining rooms in George Martin's Strip Steak Restaurant
      

          I am a big fan of food, and an even bigger fan of eating!  I never really found a place where I was thrilled with their steak, until I found George Martin's Strip Steak Restaurant.  This restaurant is located in Great River (Long Island).  The first time that I went there, I was very surprised that this restaurant was located in the middle of a residential area.  I have been to Strip Steak for a couple occasions, and every time I was impressed.  This restaurant gives a "cozy" feeling when you walk inside.  It does not seem like a very big place, and there are three rooms.  Since the whole restaurant isn't just one big room, it gives that cozy feeling, almost like you are at home. 
          Every time I visit Strip Steak, I always order the Filet Mignon, because that is my absolute favorite!  The last time I had the chance to go to this restaurant was the beginning of this month, for my boyfriend's birthday.  He ordered the Strip Steak.  We ordered Chili Pop Shrimp for an appetizer, which is battered shrimp in a sweet and spicy chili sauce.  We shared the Baked Macaroni and Cheese and Hand-cut French Fries for our sides.  One of my favorite sides from this restaurant is the pan toasted green beans, made with bacon and blue cheese.  After we finished our dinner, we were so full that we couldn't eat dessert.  The best dessert that Strip Steak offers is the Hot Apple "Turnover", which is created with Granny Smith apples, golden raisins, cranberries, streusel, cinnamon ice cream, and whipped cream.  It is delicious!
          I have never been disappointed with this restaurant.  The food is to die for and the service is amazing.  In fact, for my birthday, my friends had to wait a couple of minutes for the table before I got there (it was a surprise), and they were offered a round of free drinks because they had to wait.  The only negative aspect about this restaurant is that it can be a little pricey, but it is well worth the money!  Next time you plan on having a nice dinner, try this restaurant!

George Martin's Strip Steak's Website


Vocabulary:

1. Thrilled (verb) - experienced a large spark of excitement.
Residential Area
2. Residential (adjective) - occupied by residents;  meaning: people who live there. (A residential area is an area where there are only houses, not buildings, offices, etc.)
3. Impress (transitive verb) - to affect deeply, to gain interest of something.
4. Cozy (adjective) - description of something that feels warm, intimate, close, and a feeling of comfort.
Filet Mignon
5. Filet Mignon (noun) - thick slice of beef cut from the narrow end of a beef tenderloin.
6. Appetizer (noun) - food that is normally served before the meal, and in a smaller portion size.
7. Sides (noun) - food items that are with the main dish, such as a vegetable or potato.
Desserts (not from Strip Steak)
8. Dessert (noun) - a treat that is served at the end of a meal, usually like cake, cookies, fruit, pudding, ice cream, etc.
9.  Disappoint (verb) - to fail to meet the wishes or expectations of something.

**A big fan refers to someone who really likes something, or an admirer of something.
**To die for is usually a phrase that is commonly used for someone to explain that something is so good, that it is worth dying for.

My birthday dinner at Strip Steak with my boyfriend, friends, and sister

Vocabulary Cloze Exercise:





Grammar Point - Capitalization: 
  
          As you read my blog, you will notice that the name of the restaurant that I went to is capitalized.  That is because it is a proper noun, and a specific place.  A specific place would be somewhere like Belmont Park.  It is not just any park, it is a specific one.  If I just said that I went to a restaurant, I wouldn't capitalize it because it is a general place, without a specific name.
           I also capitalized the names of the foods that were ordered, because they are the specific names of the items listed on the menu.  If I said that I wanted to order a filet mignon, I wouldn't normally capitalize it.  But since the menu treats it as their specific name for their dish, the words get capitalized.  For example, I once tried making a pizza-like dish with my crock pot, but it ended up turning out a different way than I had expected.  I ended up using it as a meat sauce, which I thought was actually very good.  I named the dish "Mommy Messed Up", so it gets capitalized because it is my specific dish!
           There are many other reasons to capitalize certain words, but we will focus on these today:
Specific places
Specific dishes

For help, refer to these rules.

Grammar Exercise:
 Highlight the words that should be capitalized.

park                    belmont park                       supermarket                       banana


walgreens           starbucks                              ragu sauce                           chiquita banana


pharmacy           store                                      kleenex                                greece


guatemala          gym                                        chuck e. cheese's                gas station             

         

1 comment:

  1. Excellent entry! Now I feel hungry. I have been to George Martin in RVC. Every winter we have the English Dept. winter meeting there in the upstairs room.

    ReplyDelete