Monday, March 11, 2013

Technology

       

          Now that we live in a world of technology, sometimes we tend to depend on it a little too much.  I often have arguments with my friend about the use of my planner.  He always asks me why I still use a paper planner instead of entering my information into my phone, where it will always be easily accessible.  Although I do appreciate many things that technology has contributed to, I will always stick to my paper planner.  I feel that it is easier to see my plans for the whole month right in front of me, rather than looking it up on my phone.  On my phone, I am not able to see the whole month's schedule on one screen.  I also fear that technology will fail, which will make me lose all of my information.  What happens if I end up losing my phone?  That will result in a loss of all of my important information.  I could lose my planner too, but I just feel more comfortable with the planner.
          The use of cell phones is also an example of technology that we sometimes depend on a little too much.  It is good to have with you when you are alone, because if you get stuck somewhere, you will be able to call someone for help.  There are not many pay phones around anymore, so if you do not have a cell phone, it could be a problem.  But going out to dinner, taking a walk, going to the park, and other activities usually involve using a cell phone at the same time.  Albert Einstein once said, "I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity.  The world will only have a generation of idiots".  Is technology hindering our society or is it providing more opportunities for our futures?  Should we welcome new technology with open arms?  What do you think?

Check out this article about technology! Funny but true!!


Vocabulary:


Example of technology - computer
1. Technology (noun) - the use of science to invent new things.  

Example of technology - GPS (helps give directions when you need to know how to get somewhere)

Argument
2. Argument (noun) - a disagreement in conversation.
Planner
3. Planner (noun) - a book where plans or important things are written.  Most planners include a calendar inside.
4. Accessible (adjective)  - able to be easily reached or found.
5. Schedule (noun) - a plan of things that will be or need to be done.

Example of a screen - this is a TV screen
6. Screen (noun) - flat part of a computer monitor, phone, or other device that is where you can see the images, writing, or pictures.
Different kinds of cell phones
7. Cell (or cellular) phone (noun) - a phone that can be used wherever the person may be, not only at home.
Pay phone
8. Pay phone (noun) - a phone placed outside where anyone can use it by placing coins in the slot to pay for their phone call.
9. Overlap (verb) - to cover part of something.
These are two leaves overlapping in the middle
10. Humanity (noun) - state of being human.










Vocabulary Cloze Exercise:
Using the words above, write the word that best fits the blanks in the sentences.

1. John asked, "Did you see a  _______  ____________ nearby?  I need to make a phone call."
2. My friend and I got into an _______________ about where we were going to eat.
3. "I need my ______________ so I can see if I have anything important in my schedule for the month," she said.
4. Phones, computers, printers, cameras, cars, and Smart Boards are all examples of _______________.
5. When creating a Venn Diagram, the two circles need to _________________ in the middle.
6. I need a place where computers are _________________, because I need to be able to do my work.
7. Laura asked, "Can we go out to lunch tomorrow afternoon?"  I replied, "I am not sure, I have to check my _______________."
8. These discoveries will benefit all of _____________, not just the people in this town.
9. He always remembers to carry his _________   _________  with him when he leaves his house.
10. If the TV ____________ goes black, you may need to get it fixed.


Grammar Point (Direct Objects):

A direct object can be the nouns, pronouns, phrases, or clauses that receive the action of the verb.  To figure out the direct object, you can ask yourself whom or what was acted on the verb.  In this blog, there are many direct objects.  For example, look at the sentence, "I often have arguments with my friend about the use of my planner."
Subject: I
Verb: often have
Ask yourself...I often have what?  Arguments!
Arguments would be the direct object.

This site explains direct object in more detail.


Grammar Cloze Exercise:

Pick another sentence in my blog and see if you can break it down to find the direct object.  If you have trouble, refer to the website above for help.  Here are some more to practice (underline the direct object in each sentence):
I will do the first one:

1. The dog drank some water.
(dog is the subject, drank is the verb) (What is the dog drinking?  Water!)

2. The speaker read his speech to the crowd.
3. The girl played the piano nicely.
4. Brian called his teammates to the field.
5. She watched the show.
6. He walked to the park.
7. The cat chased the mouse.
8. The car started.
9. The pilot flew the plane.
10. The boy caught the ball.





1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I prefer the paper planner. One of my colleagues lost all her appointments when she lost her phone.

    I love the video. Let's show it in class.

    ReplyDelete