Friday, January 25, 2013

About Me

Hello! My name is Kerrie and I live in West Babylon, New York.  I am currently enrolled in the TESOL Master's Program at Molloy College.  I am a per diem substitute teacher, which is perfect for me at the moment, because I have a four year old son who keeps me very busy!  I have a Bachelor's degree in Elementary/Special Education.  I love anything that has to do with art.  When I began college, I originally wanted to be an art education teacher.  That quickly changed with the difficulty in acquiring a job.  My favorite painting is Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night".  The colors are bright, and it is just a beautiful painting.  I love to bring my love for art into the classroom, and even at home.  I have been making many "do it yourself" crafts for my home.  In one of my latest creations, I created "Superhero" comic book letters for my son's room with the use of Mod Podge glue.  I also create different kinds of cupcakes, because I love baking and making it fun!  As you can see, I am interested in a variety of things, which keeps me very busy! I am looking forward to creating more blogs.  See you soon!


Vocabulary:

1. Enrolled (verb) - entered or registered to something
2. Originally (adverb) - in the first place or primarily
3. Difficulty (noun) - trouble or struggle
4. Acquiring (transitive verb) - getting or earning
5. Creation (noun) - something that was made
6. Interested (adjective) - drew the attention of
7. Variety (noun) - a number of different things, an assortment


Cloze Exercise (Fill in the Blanks using the Vocabulary words above):

1.  She was having  ________________ with creating her blog during class.
2.  He was extremely ____________________ in collecting Superhero toys.
3.  I am not ____________________ in any math classes this semester.
4.  Mike was very proud of himself when he showed everyone his new Lego ________________.
5.  Paula _________________ wanted to eat a chicken sandwich for lunch, but she changed her mind.
6.  The ice cream shop had a large _________________ of ice cream toppings.
7.  Helen felt proud for ____________________ her Master's Degree.


Grammar Point with Exercise:
This entry includes many nouns, including three that are from the vocabulary list.  A noun can be a person, place, thing, or an idea.  For example, "difficulty" is a noun because it describes a trouble or struggle, which can be seen as an idea.  Other examples of a noun: boy (person), restaurant (place), phone (thing).

Grammar Exercise:
Find all of the nouns in this entry.  Then, create a list in order to categorize whether the noun is a person, place, thing, or an idea.

 http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/grammar/nouns.htm   <--- For practice with nouns, this website features online games!




Van Gogh's "Starry Night"






1 comment:

  1. I think that through art you can teach many things. I remember that my son's pre-K teacher did a whole of Georgia O'Keefe.

    ReplyDelete