Friday, January 25, 2013

A Great Gift

My Diamond Candle and my ring!
I have stumbled upon a great gift idea for the holidays or someone's birthday.  Too bad most of the big holidays have passed!  As I was browsing the internet, I saw a special kind of candle.  It is made by the company called Diamond Candles.  A teenage boy and his parents had a wonderful idea for making these special kinds of candles.  They make the candles themselves, and they are soy candles.  Soy candles are made from soybeans, and are said to be more natural than regular candles.  People have also said that soy candles last longer.  The reason these candles are special, is because each candle has a ring put inside of it.  The ring inside could be worth ten dollars to five thousand dollars.  In order to retrieve the ring inside the candle, you must be patient as you wait for the candle to burn long enough where you will be able to get it out.  After hearing about this candle, I decided that I had to try it out for myself.  I went onto the website, and chose the scent that I wanted to try.  I purchased the "Carnival Candy" candle to try it out, and it was pink in color.  I did not really like the smell, but I was still so excited to see what ring was inside.  Of course, I was impatient, so I dug the ring out.  I ended up with a very pretty ring, but you could definitely see that it was one of the cheaper ($10) rings.  I think this idea is such a nice gift for people, especially if you know someone who loves candles.  I enjoyed my candle, and I'm sure I will be buying many more!

 http://www.diamondcandles.com/ - Check out their website!


Vocabulary:

1. Stumbled (verb) - came unexpectedly or by chance
2. Browsing (verb) - looking over, skimming
3. Company (noun) - a bunch of people carrying out business
4. Special (adjective) - distinguished or known for an unusual quality
5. Natural (noun) - something made without human care, not with ingredients that were processed
6. Worth (intransitive verb) - value
7. Retrieve (verb) - to get and bring back
8. Patient (adjective) - waits without complaint
9. Scent (noun) - smell or odor
10. Purchased (verb) - bought

Matching Vocabulary Exercise - Use the words above to match the word with their synonym.

1. ____ Stumbled                           a. aroma, smell
2. ____ Browsing                           b. native, unprocessed
3. ____ Company                           c. bought, gained
4. ____ Special                               d. look upon
5. ____ Natural                               e. fetch
6. ____ Worth                                 f. come across, meet
7. ____ Retrieve                             g. quality
8. ____ Patient                               h. understanding, calm
9. ____ Scent                                  i. organization
10.____ Purchased                         j. particular, significant


Grammar Point with Exercise:
Complete sentences always contain a subject and a predicate.  A subject is what or whom the sentence is about.  A predicate tells about the subject.  A predicate always includes a verb (action word) as well.  For example, let's look at this sentence:  Casey walked to the park.  "Casey" would be the subject, because the sentence is about her.  "Walked to the park" would be the predicate because it tells about what Casey (the subject) did.

This site helps give a better understanding about subject and predicate.

More practice exercises

Grammar Exercise:
 Read the sentences.  Circle the subject in each sentence.  Underline the predicate in each sentence.

1. The astronaut landed on the moon.

2. Stacy went to the movies.

3. Austin created an excellent story.

4. The dog loved to go for walks.

5. He was running around the place.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent entry! I never heard of the candles and rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kerrie!!!! Nice gift idea- I am definitely going to try that one! I have never heard of that! Also good grammar point- I like how you add more references to your blogs (I might steal that idea...lol)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete